From the night of Monday 5 December, work will start on CityLink in both directions between the West Gate Freeway and Flemington Road to add an extra lane in each direction and install new technology to reduce congestion and improve safety.
To minimise disruption to drivers, our crews will work nights only to ensure construction does not impact peak periods on the road.
The following road conditions will be in place to facilitate the works:
- Speed limit reduced to 80 km/h during the day
- Speed limit further reduced to 40 km/h or 60 km/h during night time road works
- Existing emergency lane shifted from the left to the right of the traffic lanes
- Drivers will be shifted to the left and will travel in the three left lanes
- The fourth (right) lane will be used as an emergency lane until the freeway management system is in place in mid-2017, which will allow us to open all four lanes to drivers and remotely turn any lane into an emergency lane when required