A PDF of this plan can be downloaded here.
The tender to complete construction will be released to the public this weekend. It is anticipated the successful contractor will begin work in September, subject to delivering the project within a six week time frame. In addition lighting assets along Beach Street must be relocated within this timeframe by CitiPower. If these timeframes cannot be met, construction will commence in May 2017 to accommodate the cruise ship season.
The scope of works include:
- Creating a Station Pier lane along Beach Street from Bay Street to the roundabout that will hold queuing traffic at cruise ship times
- Utilising the existing pavement space on the foreshore side of Beach Street by altering most of the angle parking to become parallel parking, to make room for the Station Pier lane
- Adding a lane to the roundabout to create a lane that goes straight through to Station Pier and a one right turn lane, effectively removing congestion from the roundabout
- Creating an on-road bike lane in both directions on Beach Street
- July – Public Tender process
- August – Tender close
- Late August – Appointment of contractor
- Early September – Contractor begins work (proposed and subject to tender responses)
- 24 October 2016 – Construction finishes (proposed and subject to tender responses)
- 25 October 2016 – First Cruise Ship scheduled