- the site is not close to an activity centre - which is necessary to attract people to the area;
- it has poor accessibility for regular access - it is some distance from public transport along a weather-exposed walkway;
- the area has limited parking, with both Pier and Beach Streets often quite congested;
- the proposed location abuts a residential area which, depending upon the nature of any activities and the hours of operation, has the potential to adversely impact on the amenity of nearby residents;
- the proposed structure, involving considerable use of shipping containers around the heritage-listed gatehouse, may not be compatibly with its historic legacies;
- and perhaps more significant than any of the above, the challenges of adverse weather on the pier might significantly detract from visitor use of the pier.
BCNA has not developed a position on the current proposal. A position will be established once consultation and feedback from members has occurred.
More details are outlined in a letter to members which can be downloaded here.
The MAV Proposal / Feasibility Report can be downloaded here (main report) and here (appendices).