A new legislative framework for incorporated associations in Victoria came into effect on 26 November 2012. The framework includes:
- a new act - the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012
- new regulations - the Associations Incorporation Reform Regulations 2012, and
- new model rules for incorporated associations.
The reforms cover the following areas:
- Codification of duties for office holders
- Defences for office holders
- Indemnity for office holders
- Tiered reporting procedures
- Merger of Public Officer / Secretary
- Removal of the prohibition on trading
- Use of technology at committee and general meetings
- New matters that must be provided for in an association's rules
- Removal of committee members
- Conflicts of interest and committee members
- Clarification of the rights of members
- Disciplinary action against a member
- Grievance procedures
In order to ensure BCNA meets the requirements of the Act, the Committee is proposing that the (attached) rules be adopted at the Annual General Meeting in October 2013. In order to be adopted, the meeting will need to support a special resolution, which means the resolution will need to be supported by 75% of the members in attendance at the AGM.
Click here for a pdf version of the Proposed New Rules for the BCNA.
If you have any questions regarding these proposed rules, please contact the Secretary by email on SecretaryBCNA@gmail.com.