So Van Le-Hugh from the City of Port Phillip has kindly provided this brief overview for us.
In 2012, local residents BCNA and businesses brought to Council’s attention a noticeable lack of vitality in the activity centre including Beach St and Port Melbourne waterfront. From this an extensive community consultation process took place and the three strategic directions to address the lack of vitality and issues were identified as follows:
- Create a place that meets resident and user needs and reflects their value of the beach environment and heritage
- Enhance the public realm to deliver diverse staying places that are comfortable all year around and promote self-sustaining activity
- Improve the visitor experience; making it easier to get around, access amenity, activity and business, and to enjoy in its own right.
Van also provided the following links for related programmes:
- The Vibrant Villages Program http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/vibrant-villages.htm
- The ARTcontained project at Waterfront http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/ARTcontained.htm