A striking bronze sculpture of a young World War II sailor gazing towards Port Phillip Bay was unveiled recently on the Port Melbourne foreshore.
The sculpture, Answering the Call, is located opposite the intersection of Beach Street and Dow Street, Port Melbourne. It is near the site of HMAS Lonsdale, the Naval Reserve Base which was commissioned on 1 August 1940 and decommissioned in 1992.
The memorial sculpture was the vision of Lieutenant Commander Mackenzie Gregory, whose energy and enthusiasm was the driving force behind the project. Port of Melbourne Corporation's (PoMC) CEO Nick Easy joined Commander Gregory’s daughter, Jane Gregory, and representatives from the Royal Australian Navy, City of Port Phillip and the Anzac Centenary Committee at the opening event.